I'm at the beach this week! Actually, this is the last full day my family and I are going to be here.
My aunt and uncle have a super cute beach house in Seagrove, Florida, and we stayed there for the first time back in May. There were just five of us that time, but this is our annual family vacation. There are usually about eleven of us, plus or minus a couple of cousins and their girlfriends (all my cousins are guys, except for one) and it's always something I look forward to every year. This year, five other family members were staying in Panama City, so all seventeen of us went out for dinner and back to the beach house for s'mores brownies! (That's going to be a completely different blog post!)
At the beginning of the week, we had the beach-house-half of our crew come over to our condo for dinner. I really wanted to make beach themed cupcakes on this trip and decided to go ahead and make them so we could have them for the rest of the vacation.
First off, let me go ahead and tell you that these cupcakes are sooo easy to make. I wanted to make something that wouldn't take much time to bake and decorate, so if you use a box mix and buy frosting from the store, it takes no time at all! And then there's more time for you to spend down on the beach.
1 box yellow cake mix
1 can vanilla frosting (I also used a packet of Flavor Creations for fun! The cinnamon roll flavor.)
1 can blue frosting (I used the Betty Crocker kind that comes with decorating tips, as seen in the picture above.)
1 box graham cracker crumbs (you can always buy graham crackers and crush them yourself)
- Bake cupcakes according to directions on box. Let them cool completely before frosting.
- Pour graham cracker crumbs into a small bowl.
- Using a knife or a frosting spatula, frost half of each cupcakes with vanilla frosting and sprinkles with graham cracker crumbs or turn cupcakes upside down and dip into graham cracker crumbs.
- For the blue frosting, I used Betty Crocker's canned frosting that comes with decorating tips, but if you want to make your own blue frosting, go for it!
- Pipe or spread the blue frosting over the other half of the cupcakes.
- Then stick an umbrella into the sand half of each cupcake.
- I got these umbrellas at Walmart, but I think they can also be bought at party stores like Party City.