First off, I would like to announce that I’m writing an ebook! Basically, it’s a cookbook in downloadable-pdf-form. And it’s football themed, of course. I’m hoping to have it finished by the end of July so it will be out in time for football season. Right now I’m just planning out the recipes, and this week I tried out the first one! I’m not quite sure how I’m going to advertize for it or if it’s going to be free or not, but I’ll figure it out as I go.
This is the first time I've ever made rice krispie treats. I'm still looking for a job, so I was trying to think of cheap things I could make until I find one. Rice krispie treats are perfect for this, especially if you divide the recipe in half because then you can get more batches out of one box. I saw some chocolate mint marshmallows at Target and I'm already thinking about the next batch I want to make.
I also decided to make these because I've had some frozen strawberries in my freezer, and I've been thinking of ways to use them too.
I've been really unhappy with my photography lately. I made a light box with the help of my dad, but I think the issue is the overhead lamp I'm using. So until I get that worked out, I'm going to take my pictures outside. I could probably take them right outside the front door of my apartment, but this morning I decided to go to the park. I tired this yesterday when I was taking photos for my ebook and it worked out wonderfully. I saw all of two people, which is what I was hoping for. It was also pretty early in the morning (on college student time). I went a little later today and there were more people there. Hopefully, they didn't think I was too strange sitting at a table by myself at the park with a big plate of rice krispie treats.
STRAWBERRY RICE KRISPIE TREATS
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 cups of mini marshmallows
5 tablespoons of pureed strawberries (I bought frozen sliced strawberries at Walmart and then pureed them)
3 cups of Rice Krispie cereal
White chocolate chips (optional)
Pink food coloring (optional)
Pink sprinkles (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium or large saucepan on low heat.
- Put the Rice Krispie cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- When the butter is melted, add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat. Add the pureed strawberries and stir until completely incorporated.
- Pour strawberry/marshmallow mixture over the rice krispie cereal and stir until completely coated.
- Transfer the rice krispie mixture into a 8x8 inch pan and press it flat with a spatula. Then put it in the refrigerator.
- Next, measure out 1 cup of white chocolate chips in a microwave save bowl.
- Microwave the white chocolate chips according to the instructions on the package.
- Once they're melted, add pink food coloring until you reach your desired color.
- If you have a squeeze bottle, pour the melted white chocolate into the bottle. Remove the rice krispie treats from the fridge and drizzle the white chocolate over them.
- If you don't have a squeeze bottle, let the white chocolate cool a little and pour it into a ziploc bag. Cut one of the corners off (a very tiny piece) and it will work just as well.
- Let the chocolate harden and then you can cut the rice krispie treat into squares.